This Weigh Safe hitch ball has an easy-to-use, built-in scale that measures your trailer’s tongue weight every time you tow. If the scale indicates that your tongue weight is too low or too high, you can adjust it before you head out so that you can complete your journey with peace of mind, knowing that your setup is safe. And towing trailers with different coupler sizes is a breeze thanks to the magnetic, clamp-on 2-5/16″ ball adapter. Stainless steel construction resists rust and corrosion.
How it Works
- Hitch ball provides connection point for your trailer’s coupler
- Tongue weight scale built into the hitch ball helps you balance your trailer
- Promotes safe towing – lets you know if your load needs to be adjusted before you tow
- Simple operation – automatically provides a measurement every time you couple your trailer
- Efficient and hassle-free – eliminates the need for separate or commercial scales
- Designed and tested to let you tow trailers with different coupler sizes
- Works with 2″ and 2-5/16″ couplers
- Ball adapter piece clamps on for quick and easy use
- Stainless steel construction is corrosion resistant
- Shank is heat treated for superior strength and dependability
- SAE J684 certified and VESC Regulations V-5 compliant
- Made in the USA
- Ball diameter: 2″
- 2-5/16″ Diameter with included adapter
- Weight capacity: 10,000 lbs
- Tongue weight capacity: 1,500 lbs
- Shank diameter: 1″
- Fits ball mount platforms that are 3/4″ thick
- Overall height:
- 2″ Ball: 5-7/8″
- 2-5/16″ Ball: 6″
- Scale dimensions: 3″ long x 2″ wide x 2-1/4″ high
- Scale sits below the ball mount platform when installed
Note: The Weigh Safe hitch ball is designed for use with ball mounts that have a platform thickness of 3/4″ only.
Ensures Proper Towing and Improves Performance
Pressure on the ball sends a reading to the built-in scale that measures tongue weight (lbs.)
GMC guidelines for proper towing states tongue weight should be no less than 10 percent of gross trailer weight (GTW) and no more than 15 percent. For example, tongue weight for a 10,000 pound trailer should be no less than 1000lbs. and no more than 1500lbs.
(Note: Weigh Safe max tongue weight is 1500lbs. Do not initiate tow if your reading is in the red zone)
How Tongue Weight Affects Your Vehicle
The tongue weight is the static force the trailer tongue exerts on the hitch/tow ball. Proper trailer tongue weight improves the vehicle and trailer towing experience by improving performance. Not enough tongue weight or force on the hitch/tow ball causes an increase in trailer sway from side to side, making it difficult to control. Conversely, too much tongue weight or force on the hitch/tow ball could overload the rear tires of the towing vehicle, pushing the rear end of the vehicle around. This could also negatively affect the vehicle handling. Performance is impaired as you might not be able to go around corners and curves properly, and your vehicle may not stop quickly enough when you press the brake pedal.
The Weigh Safe Drop Hitch effectively measures the tongue weight of your towing load, improving the vehicle tow load balance and performance.